London Bluebirds Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2019 12:48 pm  #11

Re: Reading v Cardiff City Sunday 18th August 12 Noon kick off.

I think I'm going to get to Reading for about 9am. Seems quite a few pubs are open early enough. Don't know any of these pubs below but doing a google shows they are open early enough for a swifty pre-match.  Where's the experts , Bryen ?

The Hope Tap, 99-105 Friar St, Reading RG1 1EP, Sunday opening 8am.
Back Of Beyond,104-106 King's Rd, Reading RG1 3BY,Sunday opening 8am.
Monks Retreat, 163 Friar St, Reading RG1 1HE,Sunday opening 9am.
The Three Guineas,Station Approach, Reading RG1 1L,Sunday opening 9am.

8/12/2019 10:10 am  #12

Seems to be sold out

8/12/2019 10:47 am  #13

Huw wrote:

I think I'm going to get to Reading for about 9am. Seems quite a few pubs are open early enough. Don't know any of these pubs below but doing a google shows they are open early enough for a swifty pre-match.  Where's the experts , Bryen ?

The Hope Tap, 99-105 Friar St, Reading RG1 1EP, Sunday opening 8am.
Back Of Beyond,104-106 King's Rd, Reading RG1 3BY,Sunday opening 8am.
Monks Retreat, 163 Friar St, Reading RG1 1HE,Sunday opening 9am.
The Three Guineas,Station Approach, Reading RG1 1L,Sunday opening 9am.

Hi Huw

I have no idea about opening times but here are a few thoughts on each pub:
Hope Tap -,not sure if this is still a Weatherspoons, but it is a typical W/s pub, hence opening hours - not too far from the Irish bar people used last time we played at Reading, and about 5 minutes walk from station. 
Back Of Beyond - Typical W/s and probably the furthest of the 4 options so would keep this one in reserve
Monks - former W/s , although you would never guess it no longer is one! 
3Gs - my favourite of all these Pubs - has guest Real Ales although will be the most expensive Pub. It is attached to the Station and usually a Police presence outside when Reading play at home. I THINK it welcomes away fans as I have seen other fans drinking there, but for Cardiff they may make an exception! Obviously, being next to the Station it is likely to attract a lot of fans and be very busy.
If I can get into the centre this week, I will pop into the Pubs and enquire about opening times and beer availability on Sunday.
I can't go, but in terms of transport your best bet is either the bus that goes from the Station, or a taxi (only problem with taxi of course is getting back!)
If I have any updates on opening times etc I will post here!

8/12/2019 12:20 pm  #14

Is anyone else going to go to the home end now?

8/12/2019 12:36 pm  #15

adza32 wrote:

Great idea - London Bluebirds take the Reading home end!!!!

8/12/2019 1:13 pm  #16

Chris O wrote:

adza32 wrote:

Great idea - London Bluebirds take the Reading home end!!!!

Blocks Y22 and Y23 are by the halfway line and have loads of spare seats. £27 for adults, which isn't a huge difference to the £25 behind the goal

8/12/2019 7:08 pm  #17

This afternoon, I went on a very abstemious crawl of the Pubs Huw suggested.

I think the best bet is The Monks Retreat. They start serving alcohol at 9 on Sunday, and welcome all football supporters. It is about a 5 minute walk from the Station - in the days of Google Maps directions are perhaps unnecessary, but to save your batteries on the day:
Take the Town Centre (not Caversham) exit from the Station. Opposite you is the imaginatively named Station Road, with the Thames Tower office block on your right and Malmaison Hotel on your left. Follow this road until you come to The Pitcher & Piano on the corner, and turn left. The Monks Retreat is on your right in about a minute.
If you intend taking the bus to the ground after the Pub, retrace you steps to the Thames Tower, and then walk down the steps to the left of it. Walk past the taxi rank, and the bus stop is on your left alongside the black hoardings of a building site. If there is a large queue or you are running late, the taxi rank could be a handy option.
Of the other Pubs Huw suggested, The 3 Guineas starts serving alcohol at 10, and they said they would not welcome away fans wearing colours.
I went into The Hope Tap, but even at 5 on a Monday afternoon there was a massive queue at the bar so I didn't ask them. IMHO the queue says more for how cheap the beer is rather than how attractive a Pub it is.
If anyone gets stuck and needs a private hire taxi, the biggest and best in Reading is Top Cars - 01189 44 22 22.
Have fun and give the City a shout from me!!

8/13/2019 8:27 am  #18

For those of you who can't wait for the Monk's Retreat to open at 9 o'clock (Ross), I shall be in Fordbury Gardens with a flagon of cider in a brown paper bag from 8 o'clock. Fordbury Gardens is at the end of Friar Street , behind the Town Hall.

Board footera