London Bluebirds Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2015 1:24 pm  #21

Re: The 1927 Club

As someone who believed that Cardiff City’s return to blue would offer an opportunity for reconciliation and healing of wounds, I find the comments in this thread surprising and saddening.
Some people seem to be determined to rewrite history, so let’s get a few things straight: in 2012, the 1927 Club made the decision to withdraw its support for Cardiff City FC due to the owner’s decision to change the colours and identity of the football club.  The 1927 Club’s decision was a democratic one, supported by a clear majority of its membership.  The reasons for this decision have been clearly set out on the 1927 Club webpage since 2012 and personally I’m proud of that message and the fact that we have consistently stood by it.  The 1927 Club didn’t close down and it didn’t expel anyone, but some of its members disagreed with its policy on the rebrand and decided to break away and form a new club which took a different line on the changes which had occurred at the football club.  The fledgling supporters’ club received a lot of help and advice from the 1927 club as well as a substantial financial contribution.
Even in the past two and a half seasons, the 1927 Club membership has included individuals who still watched Cardiff City, some on a regular basis.  No-one has ever been told “you can’t be a member because you support Cardiff City”.
In the light of Cardiff City’s decision last week to revert to blue, the 1927 Club’s stated reason for not actively supporting the football club no longer applies.  On that basis, it seemed sensible to make London Bluebirds aware of this and give members the option to reconsider joining the 1927 Club, if that’s what they wanted to do.  It also seemed to be worthwhile exploring whether a merger of the two clubs might make sense.  I have absolutely no problem with the fact that a number of London Bluebirds appear to be overwhelmingly opposed to rejoining or any merger, but it’s very sad to see some of the unfair criticism and misrepresentations of the facts which have been aimed at the 1927 Club and its members by some of the LB membership.
I appreciate that some individuals may personally have been disappointed that the 1927 Club stopped arranging travel to Cardiff matches and other activities which actively supported the football club, but the nature of a democracy is that you have to live with its decisions, whether you agree with them or not.
I was a founder member of the 1927 Club in 1990 and I think I’m correct in saying that I’m the only person who, since that time, has always been a member and always lived in London.  It is important to me that the 1927 Club continues in one form or another.  For those London Bluebirds who don’t want to have anything to do with us, I’m sorry you feel that way but I wish you the best with supporting Cardiff City and continuing the development of your own club.

1/13/2015 1:34 pm  #22

Ok, thanks to all who have posted their views here.

It appears that, generally, people are in favour of a merger (with some dissenting voices), but would not like to see the name of the merged club as being the 1927 Club (a mix of the 2 names being suggested). I think it's also fair to say that there is still a fair bit of acrimony over the split a few years ago.

As Matt has suggested, I think we should leave it there at the moment. Let the 1927 Club start up as a City supporting group again, and we willalso continue to run as we are.

As has been suggested, we can look to find a common pub for the Brentford (and Reading?) away games, and hopefully begin to reestablish friendships.

When the time is right, we can consider merging, but for now it onviously isn't.

I fully intend to join the 27 Club again, but will retain my position of the LB's as long as you are happy for me to do so.

I hope that one day we can happily merge (name to be agreed!) but until then let's continue running the LB's as we have been doing.

Cheers!

1/13/2015 1:35 pm  #23

I'm not sure if the idea of a merger is going to work as the old arguments and different versions of history are back straightaway.
By the way Matt are London Bluebirds members able to post on the 1927 Club mb ?
Just out of balance and fairness.
I'm allowing people posting rights but I'm not sure about you guys.

1/13/2015 1:43 pm  #24

Glyn

Currently the 1927 club messageboard is out of action, I need to sort it out.  But our plan is to re-open membership for free til the end of the season, then have an AGM in the summer to decide how to progress from there (and possibly return to charging a sub).

I'll let you know when that's possible but of course that's fine.

Thanks
Matt

1/13/2015 1:45 pm  #25

I'm sure the two can co-exist separately, the majority of people that will go to away games and use the club for travel booking and organising etc will use the London Bluebirds anyway, as long as the club recognise there are two different clubs and don't give one preference over the other then I don't see the need for a merger. 

Logistically it doesn't make any difference, we can all use the same pubs, trains etc any way. 

Welcome back to the 27 club guys by the way, im just happy it's all starting to make sense again. Hopefully by next season we can get rid of those red seats, get a new badge, give Russell Slade his P45 and all will be right in the world!

1/13/2015 1:45 pm  #26

I think the intention is that any of us can join the 27 Club which, as I said above I intend to do) and then we can post on their MB. Matt - correct me if I am wrong!

1/13/2015 1:47 pm  #27

You reminded me Tom - those who havent been to the stadium recently prepare yourself for the new red seat section of the Ninian Stand (plus dreadful football, of course...!)

1/13/2015 1:49 pm  #28

hopefully in time a bit like Adar Glas & CCSC a common ground can be found and everyone can move forward as one and do what we all used to follow the (mis) fortunes of CCFC

Time can be a healer

1/13/2015 1:55 pm  #29

matthew_gabb wrote:

Glyn

Currently the 1927 club messageboard is out of action, I need to sort it out.  But our plan is to re-open membership for free til the end of the season, then have an AGM in the summer to decide how to progress from there (and possibly return to charging a sub).

I'll let you know when that's possible but of course that's fine.

Thanks
Matt

OK that's fine Matt.

1/13/2015 6:04 pm  #30

Phew!
A mad 48 hours or so......
I too would like to re-join the 1927 club and have access to the m/board.
I knew that the great announcement of last week would see the 1927 Club want to come back and get behind the City  - no problem with that at all - but it was odds on that there would be all some ill feelings, etc.

Need to agree with the post of Richied1927 -    time can be a healer.   

Looking forward to some interesting debates in the pub at Norwich.......

Board footera