London Bluebirds Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2015 6:22 pm  #11

Re: The 1927 Club

I am all for the merger and don't want to see the 1927 club name in any new title. London Bluebirds it is.
Just when the Thames Valley Bluebirds flag got renamed! Typical.

Good to have you back Matt - and hopefully a few others........but then there are some bods I hope I won't bump into. Sorry.

The General.   

1/12/2015 6:43 pm  #12

For the record I don't think it makes sense to have two supporters clubs either. Would make sense to merge. Although judging from the above "merge" means go back to being called the 1927 Club

However, for what it's worth (probably not a lot) I won't be re-joining.

This whole sorry episode proved what a lot of people suspected all along, that there was/is a two tier system within the club. If the personnel were the same and the viewpoints reversed it would have been business as usual without a doubt. The unofficial "no riff-raff" motto rung surprisingly true.

I once thought the 1927 Club was set up a to facilitate the attendance of City games for fans living outside of Cardiff. Yet when people decided they didn't want to support the football club in its current guise it was the people that simply wanted to do just that that were forced to leave! Completely counterintuitive in my view.
Then we were told the club wouldn't be continuing, only to be told after we had left it was just on hiatus after all.

Who's to say next time there is a differing of opinion they won't take their ball (and apparently it is theirs) home again?

Fair play to everyone that goes back, I understand your reasons, but maybe keep your opinions to yourself just to be safe. Unless they are the "right" ones of course.

Me personally, I just can't bring myself to rejoin a club I've been kicked out of once already.

David Samuel

1/12/2015 6:56 pm  #13

I think we should step back from this for the time being and leave things as they are for now.   I'll pop along to a game (perhaps Brentford when most people will be along) and have a chat with people rather than trying to do this online.  Where even if there is a will for a "merged" club, the name that people were so annoyed about losing would now be lost!!!!

Cheers
Matt

1/12/2015 7:22 pm  #14

Welcome back Matt look forward to seeing you at Brentford.       

1/13/2015 9:47 am  #15

Tafferel makes some good points.

Going back to the rebrand, it was suggested that there be a 1927 club AGM to discuss what the 1927 club response was, or if not, a poll of all members. This didn't happen as there was no time for an AGM and "not all members have paid their subs". I found the 2nd reason quite bizarre, because if they hadn't paid their subs, then they weren't members. Try not paying your subs at your golf club and see what happens to your membership. I was also told that the 1927 club were now “personae non gratae” with the club because of comments made regarding the re-brand.

The 1927 Club was set up in the early 90's to bring together supporters of Cardiff City who were exiled in London and the South East, and anyone who did not want to continue to support Cardiff City should have resigned from the club. The club name, flag and ethos was synonymous with supporting Cardiff City, however, it seems that a number of members (even some who were no longer members because they hadn’t paid) decided that the club name belonged to them, and not the club. The name “The 1927 Club” now belongs to a group of non-league football supporters who also attend Welsh International games, it is no longer the name of a Cardiff City Supporters club and is no longer synonymous with supporting Cardiff City.
Consider this – The London Bluebirds and The1927 Club amalgamate and re-brand as The 1927 Club. Then, at the start of the next season Tan unveils the new club crest. The crest does not fit in with the wishes of the former 1927 club, and they again take their club name (because it is theirs apparently) for another stay away protest. That leaves the London Bluebirds right “back at square one!” (See what I did there?).
There should be no objection to former 1927 club members who now want to support CCFC being allowed to join the London Bluebirds and abiding by the rules of that club. However, I find it strange that some of them don’t want to support CCFC, but still want to be part of “the social scene”. The “social scene” is getting a train at stupid o’clock and travelling to Darlington or Carlisle to watch the City play, surely?
I see Matt now wants to discuss the matter at an AGM – that should have been done two and a half years ago.

1/13/2015 9:50 am  #16

I meant to finish with -
The 1927 club are quite entitled to be a seperate Cardiff City Supporters Club if they don't want to join the London Bluebirds.

1/13/2015 9:54 am  #17

When the 1927club was set up in November 1990, It was done so to bring together Cardiff City supporters living in London & South East. It was a unique club in many ways and livelong friendships were formed.

Matt points out that I slaughtered them for taking the name away, I'll make it clear that I was not happy that the London Bluebirds were not able to use the 1927 Club name especially when people stepped forward to take over the running of the club were denied the right to do so. 

I felt and I don't think I was alone in this thought, the 1927 club is a Cardiff City supporters club and no more than that, It is not a private members club, It is not owned by anyone and the name belongs to no indiviual - it just the name of the club. The London Bluebirds should have been able to use the the name which identifies CCFC fans living in the London area

Those that no longer wanted to support Cardiff City at the time should have just allowed their membership to expire.

Cardiff City are now thankfully back in our rightful colours, It makes sense to have one supporters club identifying those living in the London area

1/13/2015 10:09 am  #18

Ray - it's good of you to bring up all the recriminations from two and a half years ago at a time when I'm trying to build some bridges.   I answered your questions at the time but to clarify, the majority of 27 club members at the start of 2012/13 didn't pay their subs in the wake of the rebrand, there were less than 30 paid up members which would have rendered a vote meaningless.   I would say that the 1927 club is somewhat surprisingly not in the club's bad books as was shown by an invite being extended to last Thursday's meeting, and people at the club offering tickets to us to come back.   I was as surprised as anyone but the club appear to be putting on a charm offensive as they know better than anyone how hurtful and divisive the rebrand was. On your final point, I think that might be best for now.   

Richie - the 1927 club will be exactly that again, although for the time being given the comments in this thread I think we leave things alone for the time being.     I agree it was/is a unique club, and part of the reason that there were issues at the time of the rebrand as the 1927 club meant more to many people than even their support of Cardiff City. Strange but true.

I'd also hope now, given the number of people who were considering not renewing for next season as a result of Tan's actions (Fat Cat I noticed you were planning not to renew due to the white shirt at Bournemouth?), that you can have some understanding of the feelings that drove people to what happened in summer 2012.   It's a shit thing to lose your football club, trust me.

I think and hope that given the split of who will probably start going and who has drifted away as a result of the rebrand that there will be a lot more common ground than many in this thread have given credit for.

I don't want to cause problems, I suggest we leave things alone for now and speak soon.

thanks
Matt

1/13/2015 10:43 am  #19

Matt,

I'm not bringing up recriminations, and I'm not here to argue with you. I'm putting across my point and using historical events to support it. Your point regarding less than 30 members being paid up is not valid. If there were only 30 members paid up, then there were only 30 members. If 16 of those had voted to discontinue as a Cardiff City Supporters Club, then that is a democratic decision and would have to be adhered to by the members. The opposite is the same. During a general election, if you are not registered to vote, you can't vote. The fact that turn outs can be lower than 40% doesn't change the validity of the vote.
My feelings are strong on this, as I have in the past (like you) worked extremely hard to maintain the 1927 club and ensure that CCFC supporters could travel to games all over the country. Unfortunately the 1927 club ceaseed to be a CCFC supporters club two and a half years ago.
My view - for what its worth - is that anyone who wants to join The London Bluebirds can, or if they don't, then they can travel to CCFC games independently (something that has always happened anyway).
The re-merge of The London Bluebirds and The 1927 Club is like a hostile take over of a board.

I'm glad to see that many of the refuseniks are now happy to return to the fold, and I welcome them with open arms, but surely it has to be under the terms and conditions of those who have continued to support the team whilst continuing to protest the rebrand at every game.

1/13/2015 11:21 am  #20

Ray - you might have been happy with that, but it wouldn't have solved anything apart from to generate more of the same arguments.   The 1927 club statement on the website always said the club would return to supporting CCFC when the identity of the club was returned.  It looks like that is happening now.  And I agree, we will run separately and leave it at that.   Chris and I were naive to rush into a merger, this was based on incomplete feedback from people that had got straight onto us at the time of the announcement on Friday.

Look forward to seeing people at a game soon.
thanks
Matt

Board footera