London Bluebirds Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2017 12:06 pm  #11

Re: Reading v Cardiff City (a)

I got a plusbus ticket anyways but I'm down for whatever, if I make it

11/20/2017 5:38 pm  #12

glynthomas wrote:

I'll probably come. Gonna check out the last train back to Swindon.

So today I get an invite to have my other eye operated on the very same day as the match.

Bloody NHS being so efficient.

They must have known I was born in Tredegar , the blueprint for the NHS.

11/23/2017 12:26 pm  #13

I have been trying to find a decent pub that runs buses to the ground and is reasonably near the station, but without success. Here are my recommendations:

If you are driving - I am told that the Car Parking at the ground is almost full with Season ticket holders, but there are many companies en route to the ground who let out their car park on match day - I have used one of these in the past. If you turn off at Junction 11 and follow signs for the ground you should see signs for Car Parking. The old Speedway stadium has a fair sized car park that you can pay to use on match days.

If you come by train - I think the best option is to go for a drink in town and then catch the bus from bus stop WS opposite the station. Obviously, you will want to avoid Yates, Walkabout etc. The station pub itself, The Three Guineas, has recently undergone and refurb and s now very nice, with craft ales and heaters outside. However, it is likely to be very busy and, if its going to kick off, then its going to kick off there!!!

One of my favourite pubs is the Allied Arms - http://www.allied-arms.co.uk/ - dont expect anything too spectacular, but it is cosy and about a 10-15 minute walk from the station. On the outskirts of town so I would guess unlikely to be any trouble. With Google maps you probably dont need directions, but briefly go to the old, South exit from the station, by the 3 Guineas, and turn right, down the steps and walk to the Greyfriars Pub (you could always try that - its a new pub on the site of an old one, if that makes sense!!). Turn left there and walk up the hill. At the top of the hill cross the road and head to your right and then almost immediately left on to West Street. You will pass a pedestrianised street to your left, and then West Street becomes St Marys Butts and the Pub is on your left.

A taxi shouldnt cost too much from the Allied to the ground, and if there are some of you sharing and you can persuade them to pick you up after the match then that would be a good option. I use Top Cars in Reading - 01189 442222 - they are very reliable. If I were going, I think I would prearrange a taxi from the Allied and back and go there.

Enjoy the game!!!

11/23/2017 1:38 pm  #14

Chris O wrote:

I have been trying to find a decent pub that runs buses to the ground and is reasonably near the station, but without success. Here are my recommendations:

If you are driving - I am told that the Car Parking at the ground is almost full with Season ticket holders, but there are many companies en route to the ground who let out their car park on match day - I have used one of these in the past. If you turn off at Junction 11 and follow signs for the ground you should see signs for Car Parking. The old Speedway stadium has a fair sized car park that you can pay to use on match days.

If you come by train - I think the best option is to go for a drink in town and then catch the bus from bus stop WS opposite the station. Obviously, you will want to avoid Yates, Walkabout etc. The station pub itself, The Three Guineas, has recently undergone and refurb and s now very nice, with craft ales and heaters outside. However, it is likely to be very busy and, if its going to kick off, then its going to kick off there!!!

One of my favourite pubs is the Allied Arms - http://www.allied-arms.co.uk/ - dont expect anything too spectacular, but it is cosy and about a 10-15 minute walk from the station. On the outskirts of town so I would guess unlikely to be any trouble. With Google maps you probably dont need directions, but briefly go to the old, South exit from the station, by the 3 Guineas, and turn right, down the steps and walk to the Greyfriars Pub (you could always try that - its a new pub on the site of an old one, if that makes sense!!). Turn left there and walk up the hill. At the top of the hill cross the road and head to your right and then almost immediately left on to West Street. You will pass a pedestrianised street to your left, and then West Street becomes St Marys Butts and the Pub is on your left.

A taxi shouldnt cost too much from the Allied to the ground, and if there are some of you sharing and you can persuade them to pick you up after the match then that would be a good option. I use Top Cars in Reading - 01189 442222 - they are very reliable. If I were going, I think I would prearrange a taxi from the Allied and back and go there.

Enjoy the game!!!

Calm, Let me know about the post-game taxi... would it be straight to the station? 

11/24/2017 9:41 am  #15

Wow - Thanks Chris. Shame about the Fox and Hounds, liked the place. We could still use it but maybe time for a change.

I’m up for trying the Allied Arms or any other place anybody recommends.

Will post my plans closer to the time.

11/24/2017 12:06 pm  #16

No problem, Paul - disappointed that I can’t go, but looking forward to my holiday! If you have any questions about Reading transport or pubs then just post here and I will do my best to answer.

11/29/2017 3:36 pm  #17

On the 5.45 out of Padd, so should be in Reading at 6ish.
Have had a pint (or 2,3,4) in The Gateway on previous occasions, so will be in there for pre-game entertainment.
http://www.reading-irish-pub.co.uk/
Real ale quite limited, but a cracking pint of Guinness (...being an Irish pub !)
Close to the station, and convenient for the shuttle bus to the ground

11/30/2017 12:42 pm  #18

If you follow my directions to the Allied, you will pass the Gateway that Folkestone has mentioned so you may want to pop in there if you fancy it. Also, the Greyfriars has just finished a refurb and looks quite nice so that may be an option as it is very close to the station, and if the weather is bad and you want to take the bus you may not want to walk too far!

12/05/2017 6:57 pm  #19

Enjoy lads ! I'll be watching with a patch over my operated on eye on Sky at home.

12/05/2017 10:51 pm  #20

glynthomas wrote:

Enjoy lads ! I'll be watching with a patch over my operated on eye on Sky at home.

Get well soon

Board footera