London Bluebirds Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2015 3:42 pm  #1

The 1927 Club

Following the rebrand reversal last week, I have been in brief discussions with Matt Gabb over the future stance of the 1927 Club.

It looks like the existing membership has decided it is going to revert to be a Cardiff City supporting club. Of course, not all it’s existing membership wish to follow the City again, and I believe they will be leaving the Club.

I haven’t discussed this situation with our Committee as yet, but think it worthwhile canvassing opinion on a couple of subjects on this Message Board:

• It doesn’t seem worthwhile running 2 supporters clubs in London, so how do people feel about merging the 2 clubs?
  • If we do merge, what would you like it to be called - London Bluebirds or The 1927 Club?

If we do merge, I think we would look to do it fairly quickly, with our Committee working alongside the 27 Club's existing committee, and then hold an AGM at the end of the season to properly appoint a new Committee etc.

For what it's worth, I firmly believe that we should merge the 2 clubs as it makes little sense to run 2.

Look forward to receiving your thoughts, although please remember this is a public forum!

1/12/2015 4:15 pm  #2

Re: The 1927 Club

Merging is the only sensible thing to do.
No bitterness. No recriminations.
In truth we ALL wanted the same result and chose to approach it differently.

I suggest The 1927 London Bluebirds Club.
It will naturally get shortened anyway.

In the eleven years I was a member The 1927 Club had two distinct factions anyway
Merging seems very appropriate.

We could also select a fixture for the reunion. Hopefully if away ...... one we cannot wear red.

1/12/2015 4:26 pm  #3

I've just approved Matt as a user for this board.

My feeling is that we should conduct the debate in the same spirit shown at the meeting at CCS last Thursday which is to move on in a positive fashion without bickering and name calling.

We have back the main things we all wanted and we can now look to the future.

Glyn

Last edited by Admin (1/12/2015 4:28 pm)

1/12/2015 4:27 pm  #4

Good idea for the two clubs to merge.

Makes easier for when sorting travel \ meet ups etc.

Also think that we shouldnt use the 1927 club name anymore.

1/12/2015 4:38 pm  #5

Agree with the merger. Not too bothered about the name but prefer the London Bluebirds. The 1927 London Bluebirds is good compromis Perhaps a tearful emotional reunion at the Brentford game.       

1/12/2015 5:01 pm  #6

I'm in favour of a merger, ideally with a new or amalgamated name.

1/12/2015 5:05 pm  #7

I must confess to being a little confused with hearing that some members of the 1927 Club will leave as they don't wish to support Cardiff City anymore! It does make me wonder why they didn't do this in the first place and their motivation for boycotting and changing the raison d'etre of the club. Nevertheless a common purpose, friendship and if necessary reconciliation is what matters now and we should draw a line and move on to what we do best - travelling around the country following what is now a very average championship side, drinking too much and talking nonsense! 
Yes we should merge. Matt should be our leader! I'd like to see 1927 and Bluebirds somewhere in the (phoenix like) name and I look forward to the first meeting with the returnees. Naturally it's their round. Hopefully they haven't forgotten what pub we go to in Norwich this saturday.
FC

1/12/2015 5:22 pm  #8

Hi all,

I don't want to pre-empt anything here, but given the boycott by the 1927 club to keep the name of the club away from being soiled by the rebrand, I don't really see a merger working if it's going to mean the loss of the name we sought to protect.    A small correction to Chris' original concilatory post - some of the small number of remaining boycotters wish to retain a connection to the club in the form of a token social membership that would not see them on the messageboard or involved in any way that would cause problems with those at the games.

A few points if I may:

Nick's comments about "two factions" probably has some truth in it. I always wondered why anyone thought that a large group of disparate people who's only thing in common is the team they support should get along in a social setting. I don't think there was any great friction but people find their own place in any group.

My feeling here and that of the many members who are hoping to make their first game in blue soon (and there were a few there on Saturday) are along these lines

The 1927 club will take it's place back as a London Cardiff City supporters club again within the next couple of weeks, and the membership will be open to anyone who wants to join.  I really want to see bridges built and so does everyone else. I'm happy to see an amalgamation of the clubs if that's what you want to do as an organisation, but I'm personally - and I'm not going to be alone here - I am very protective of the name.  We want to see how things go til the end of the season and have an AGM in the summer.

Some thoughts anyway.
Thanks
Matt

Last edited by Admin (1/14/2015 3:53 pm)

1/12/2015 5:24 pm  #9

Whatever happens just want to say on record thanks to everyone on here for helping to maintain a vehicle for going to games for the last few years. Would have been a bit shit going on my own, even if i have only made it to handful of games.

David Samuel

1/12/2015 5:51 pm  #10

Matt , just to give you the full picture most members of London Bluebirds felt annoyed that the boycotters seized the 1927 Club name when it was a fifty fifty split of members.
I think some kind of compromise is needed. We who carried on never embraced " Red " other than by continuing to attend matches and in fact are just as attached to the 1927 name as those who decided to stay away.
Lets all try our best to come up with a form of words to name a new club with which we all feel comfortable.
Glyn

Last edited by Admin (1/12/2015 5:54 pm)

Board footera